USA Trending News

Ukraine reports over 100 Russian combat drones in overnight attack

Russian forces launched another overnight drone attack on Ukraine, the Ukrainian Air Force said on Saturday morning, as explosions were reported in several regions.

More than 100 combat drones were observed flying over different parts of the country, with Ukrainian air defences engaging some targets.

Explosions were reported near Cherkasy and Chernihiv. Several explosions were also reported in Dnipro and Kiev.

In Zaporizhzhya, three people were injured and several residential buildings were set on fire, regional military administrator Ivan Fedorov said. No information on casualties or damage was immediately available from other attacked cities.

Ukrainian media warned citizens to expect possible airstrikes by Russian bombers. Air-defence officials said six strategic bombers had taken off from Russian airfields, potentially carrying missiles to strike Ukrainian targets. Shortly afterwards, it was reported that the bombers had fired several cruise missiles.

The attacks follow a major overnight strike on Kiev earlier in the week, during which drones and missiles killed at least 25 people, marking one of the deadliest assaults in more than three and a half years of war.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky told reporters that Russia is preparing a major offensive in the eastern Donbass region, potentially targeting areas around Pokrovsk where up to 100,000 troops are reportedly massed, Interfax Ukraine reported.

He added that Russian forces were preparing the offensive, but Ukraine was ready, and that the situation remained under control.

Ukrainian emergency inspect the damage caused by an overnight Russian attack on a civilian apartment building. Patryk Jaracz/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button